Better UI

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Hi Guys,

I love this project but how about a similar screen like this

http://www.developer.com/net/cplus/article.php/3647411/Handling-OS-Shut-Down-in-Windows-Vista

when a shutdown/restart is detected. THis would give it better look and feel.

Mridang.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Hi Mridang, thanks for your feedback on CacheMyWork.  I'm reading potentially two different suggestions in your post:

1. An updated look & feel to the screen that is presented to select the apps to cache
  2. A new run mode for CacheMyWork that keeps the app running in the background, and responds to logoff/shutdown/restart events

It would be interesting to tackle either of these two, but much more time-consuming to take on the latter than the former.  I believe a WPF-based UI would work well for (1), which I've been interested in trying out for a while now (but haven't had any specific incentive to dive into).  For (2) however, I would have to teach myself about multi-threading, and would have to closely watch for any/all memory leaks ('cause I personally hate background apps that slowly leak memory and do nothing more than just wait for rare occasions to do something).  I know there are many ways to work with multi-threading, but I've never actually written something like that - so it'd likely take a significant investment of time and energy to figure that one out.

Mridang, can you give me some indication which of (1) or (2) you'd be *most* interested in?  (Considering these projects are at best a part-time hobby for me, I would only be able to tackle one of them at once, and it'd likely take me a few weekends to get one or the other in releasable form.  So any help with prioritization would be awesome.)

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:14 AM

Vote for number 2 here

functionality is > eye candy.

I think there would be a lot more intrest in this project once you get that going.

keep up the good work.