why not 'default on' all my apps? yes, that'd be 'cache my "Cache My Work."'

Topics: User Forum
Dec 14, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I'm probably exposing myself as a total hack, but I tend to have a mercurial pool of apps open at any given time, and virtually never shut down voluntarily - so I want "Cache" to always be there as a pain-reliever to get me as close to where I was before whatever hiccup interrupted me.  Really, this seems like a no-brainer to me.  Wouldn't most users want the default setting to be "all boxes checked?," that is, to recover things to as close as possible to where it was when the power failed or whatever?  Sure, on those occasions when I am planning a shutdown, I could check those boxes all by hand - assuming I remember that the utility is there - but wouldn't it be a lot less painful for a user to close apps he doesn't want open, once the system reboots? 

That being said, I can't believe something like this didn't come standard with the first release of Windows.

Mahalo - Dave

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2011 at 5:56 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences! (and thanks for taking the effort to join Codeplex just to post this info - I'm doubly humbled) What you describe hasn't been my personal usage model, but it's sure compelling and makes total sense now that you mention it. I'll add that to the upcoming release as a high-pri enhancement, and if I'm smart I'll even add a config option to turn off this default for anyone who doesn't like it. But hell, even I'll probably start using this. Can't predict when the next release will come though - I completely rewrote the codebase over the last year or so, to the point where I don't have a way to roll a new fix to the old codebase, *and* I've dug myself a WPF hole that has been murder to dig my way out of. Sorry, but believe me I'm still motivated to get this sucker out at some point.
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jan 3, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Hi Mike,

Glad to know 'cache' isn't a ghost ship - was beginning to wonder.  It's proven helpful on several occasions.  I know nothing about coding anymore (foggy memories of writing stuff in Pascal...and Hypercard...about 1873, I think it was...and though they probably still teach Fortran at the engineering school I graduated from, I never learned any, just to buck the system) so I definitely appreciate what developers like you do these days... though I don't know any particulars (WPF?)

To me, your app is more necessary than any "session restore" utility for a mere browser (and THOSE are something I was seeking long before they came on the scene).  People love "system restore" (at least, when it works, they do) so I don't know why there wouldn't already have been a bunch of software efforts released to do just what 'cache' does.  Anyone who keeps an "always on" setup like I do would want this. 

Now let me see...did I check off those boxes yet this time?

Mahalo,

Dave

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:51 AM
Mike,

I went back to your site to see what's new - looks like you did some work & maybe cracked a developer-nut, if my non-dev translation makes any sense, that is. But even if no big changes, I was going to reinstall the old version, I think it is (1.2) - but I can't get either that or the alpha 2.0 to start downloading. Some tube is blocked, I suppose?

Get version 2.0 going and I will invest $8 billion in your startup...

Mahalo,

Dave Sofio

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM, paranoidmike <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Dave, thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences! (and thanks for taking the effort to join Codeplex just to post this info - I'm doubly humbled) What you describe hasn't been my personal usage model, but it's sure compelling and makes total sense now that you mention it. I'll add that to the upcoming release as a high-pri enhancement, and if I'm smart I'll even add a config option to turn off this default for anyone who doesn't like it. But hell, even I'll probably start using this. Can't predict when the next release will come though - I completely rewrote the codebase over the last year or so, to the point where I don't have a way to roll a new fix to the old codebase, *and* I've dug myself a WPF hole that has been murder to dig my way out of. Sorry, but believe me I'm still motivated to get this sucker out at some point.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (CacheMyWork@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email CacheMyWork@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com